Sunday, August 15, 2010

Confessions of a Slack Student

As a typical student vulnerable to the intellectual demands of teachers and the university itself; I was caught in a dilemma between confronting a “hell of a day” that costs me a lot of intellectual reading and memorizing ‘powers’ paired with inadequate sleep; and escaping a day that would surely lead to future disappointment of failing grades.

Part I: Before Hell is still Hell
Tuesday on my Abnormal Psychology (major subject) class, I was preoccupied about what would happen on the next day given that I have a lot of lapses-to-be-coped and things that I should do. That was also the day I took a quiz on Developmental Psychology that covers four chapters from our textbook. The four chapters itself causes distress on my part especially after reading it all, and ending up in a quiz that covers only a small portion of that chapters.

My Abnormal Psychology class started 4:15 PM and ended at exactly 7:00 PM and it costs me an hour trip before I could fill my hungry stomach and feel the ambiance of home. Still haven’t recovered from both information bombardment and saturation on that day, the fear of not passing the Bio31 lecture exam – 4 chapters – and laboratory quiz (on frog muscles and internal organs) puts my body in adrenalin. Note that I got an F-grade on both laboratory and lecture in the midterms.

After I took my dinner, my body was at ease but my mind keeps on telling me that I am in deep trouble. Amid the threat, I gratified my physical demands; I took a nap while setting my alarm on 12:00 PM – the time I planned to start my reading.

The sound of alarm awakens me and I can feel stress still sinking in the process. I didn’t open my eyes but started walking to reach a glass of water in the kitchen table. After, I turned on the switch, boiled a cup of water and prepared my coffee-smoke tandem – a requirement to keep me alive (justification).

I pulled my handouts from my bag and discovered that it’s not as thick as what I have apprehended. “Asus! Gamay raman diay” I told myself, but when I started reading; I found out that it was a reduced version with a font size approximately 8. Since then, I doubted if I could finish it ‘till morning. To cope with it, I focused reading on the bold items hoping that I’m on the right track. More or less 3:00 AM, I started memorizing frog muscles and internal organs. I felt so tired and sleepy during those moments but I know I have to persevere and continue studying – extreme determination though.

At exactly 4:30 AM, I am partially done memorizing everything – 80%-90%. “Time to sleep thin man,” I told myself, then, the “Personality Imitating Assignment” shocks my consciousness. I have not yet encoded my assignment and it opposes my extreme desire to sleep. The assignment wins and I have finished it after an hour.

To be continued…….
Note: I don’t have proofreading skills so please bear with me.

No comments:

Labels